Welcome!

The end always has some effect on me for I know that for every ending, a new beginning awaits...

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Bills That Matter

Nowadays, there had been a lot of societal issues roaming around and I’ve been usually asked what’s my take on these matters. Well, I would like to focus more on two of the main pressing issues that the society is currently facing.

Issue Number One: Reproductive Health Bill
A lot of people had been making such a big fuss about this bill for the past few months and until now, a lot of debates revolve around this issue.


Well, for me, I am pro-Reproductive Health Bill. To be honest, this bill had been already discussed many times before and as far as I’m concerned, this is really not a big issue. People are just trying to make such a fuss in order to cover up the real deal when it comes to the current status of the nation.

Anyway, regarding this one, I am pro because you really can’t do anything about it. I actually believe that the bill is just for formality. Something that only defines what is happening in reality. You can’t do anything about the decisions of couples in terms of that aspect, i.e. use of contraception or artificial family planning. You’re not with them during that time for God’s sake, so how can you assure that they won’t use condom for example, and just practice natural birth control?

And as far as I’m concerned, the bill had been revised already to be more open to possibility, and based from one of the speakers in one of the recent interviews I heard from the radio, they amended it, and it is not anymore a population control bill, but more of an awareness bill. With this, I’m really wondering why the church had been too resistive to it. I mean, it’s not a matter of killing anyway since there is still no meeting of sperm and egg. And since it doesn’t anymore talk about the one-child policy thing like in China, I wonder why they still reject the idea.


Well, my dad said that the reason for the resistance is because once the bill is approved, amendments are more possible and it could lead to a birth control or population control policy and restrictions in family planning choices which probably had been foreseen by the church which is why they don’t want this sort of “first step” to even push through. Well, I understand that point of view, but regardless of a bill, no one can really control how a couple plan their family. All you can really do is counsel and guide them. Make them more informed and keep them knowledgeable of their options.

With that in mind, I don’t think the reproductive health bill should really be an issue, and so thus the teaching of sex education to children.

Sometimes, we are just too adverse to change that we often reject an idea even before it is implemented, fearing that it won’t work. But how can we progress and improve if we will always close our minds to possibility. Killing a good idea or insight is like lessening our chances of survival. If you would think about it, evolution did a great deal for us to be able to survive and adapt to the changes in environment, and it just follows the same concept with this issue.

We just need to open our eyes, hearts and minds to possibility and just do something afterwards. Failure is part of learning and I guess, no one succeeded without failing. So if this bill won’t work after implementation, then let’s do something about it. Just as simple as that. No more fuss. Less complications, and more focus on real issues that truly matter.

Issue Number Two: Divorce Bill

This probably had been one of the most controversial issues that a country would have.  I could still remember that it is one of the most debated topics during high school and college. Well, for me, my take is that I agree with this one. I’m pro-divorce.

 
I’m not saying that I agree with the dissolution of marriage, but what I am after is the solution to an impaired marriage. Like what they say, how can divorce destroy something that is already destroyed from the very beginning? Divorce is just an option and people have their own right to decide on their own.

One thing that I would just like to stress out is probably, there should be some modifications with the law which would be applied to our country. I mean, of course, our culture is different from others (i.e. US) and we should also think about that. But that doesn’t mean that we should already dismiss the idea of divorce in our country.

Uhm, I’m not trying to inspire people to undergo divorce once their relationships don’t go well, but what I’m trying to say is that, for extreme cases, I guess divorce is that ultimate solution for unresolved marital disputes. That’s what I’m aiming for. After modifying the rules and regulations revolving divorce and fitting it to the needs of Filipino couples who are in severe marital unrest, that's the only time when it should be given as an option to dissolve a relationship. Of course, we have annulment and all but, divorce is just another option that a couple could take in order to solve their problems.

 
What I want is a divorce law which will cover not only the welfare of the couple but also of the children, most importantly. I believe that children are the most affected party in such cases so I guess, the law should be mindful of that. Also, the law should be stricter as compared to the ones being implemented in other countries but with the same level of results. Divorce as an option has different perks as compared to annulment, thus making it a probable choice for some couples, but should have that certain level of qualification before eligibility is given.

Marriage is one of the most sacred vows and commitments that two people undergo and I guess, we still have to give respect to that traditional and cultural belief, but I don’t think we should inhibit and limit the freedom of couples to decide on how they would want their relationship to go.

No one should be more knowledgeable than the people who had been in that situation of conflict and turmoil. People normally contradict something based on their beliefs without having that first-hand experience regarding the matter (which I think is normal), but we should also try to see things in different perspectives in order to have a full view of the whole picture.

As a closing remark, I believe in freedom and democracy, as long as it is being guided properly. We are all adults with respect to these issues so we should take it as how normal adults would. We all are going to be affected by these issues in one way or another, but I am just voicing out what I believe is within my own personal understanding of the matter. 


I am not promoting my thoughts to be accepted as correct nor would I want you to own it, but I’m just trying to make you think as to how you should stand on these key issues. All of us have a voice and we should use it and utilize it because no matter how small we are, we are still part of society and we should be able to express ourselves and affect the community even in our own simple way.

Photos taken from:
http://ilga.org/ilga/en/article/mVa5SJm1n2
http://akosiliet.blogspot.com/2010/10/rh-bill.html
http://newsdesk.org/2010/08/proposed-divorce-bill-stirs-controversy-in-philippines/
http://heidijohnsonstrength.com/category/family-member-updates/

No comments:

Post a Comment