Welcome!

The end always has some effect on me for I know that for every ending, a new beginning awaits...

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Pretention

They were just standing there, probably waiting for someone. I just looked at them from the waiting shed where I was sitting. One of the girls kept on looking from side to side as she hugged the book to her chest. The other girl beside her kept on talking based on the movement of her mouth.

How I loved to observe people from afar. The way they act more naturally. I wonder why most people act differently whenever they are aware that people are looking at them or observing them. I like it more when they are in their natural self.

The taller girl of the two smiled as a guy approached her. She hugged the guy as he kissed her on the cheek. The guy took the book from her hand and began to carry it. He was probably her boyfriend. They began walking side by side as they waved good bye to the girl with the umbrella. The guy placed his right arm over her shoulder as they walked. They looked sweet together. The other girl was left there, alone. I don’t know if she’s waiting for someone, but if she does, then we’re on the same boat.

FLASHBACK

I was waiting in the park for Angie. Last night, I called her and asked if she can meet me by the park near their house. She hesitated at first but since she had been busy with her work for the past few days, she finally decided to come. She told me that she also has something to say.

Actually, the main reason I wanted to see her is because it’s our firs year anniversary. I’m guessing that she probably forgot about it for she never sounded excited while we were talking. She actually sounded stern and uninterested.

I just wanted to surprise her. I know she’d been stressed at work and the only thing I could do is to at least relieve her of pressure from her job.

On the morning of our supposed “date”, I bought a dozen of white and red roses and a box of her most favorite chocolate. I also contacted my friend to provide the balloons which we could place in this certain area in the park, under the shade of this memorable tree. I actually planned for a picnic in the place where we first met each other. Some of my friends prepared something for the very special occasion and I am really thankful to have such wonderful bunch of folks. As for me, I cooked her favorite pasta. Everything was already set. The only thing missing is the girl for whom this whole day is all about.

I waited. It’s already 30 minutes past our supposed time of date. I’ve been trying to call her for more than 10 times already but she wasn’t answering her phone. I also tried texting her but there was no response.


I looked at the people passing by as I sat on the blanket which I laid down on the green grass. I checked my phone and it was already 3 o’clock in the afternoon. Two our had passed since our scheduled 1pm date. Some of the balloons already burst while some lost air. The food is getting cold and the flowers had lost their  freshness. But still, I’ve waited.

I already saw the setting of the sun from the horizon but Angie wasn’t still in sight. This was one of the view which I really wanted her to see. But I guess, only my own two eyes could gaze on such a beautiful scenery. Then unknowingly, tears just started to flow as I stared at the orangey sky. I know I’m a man and I’m not supposed to cry but I can’t help it. The tears just uncontrollably rolled down my cheeks.

FAST-FORWARD

I still kept on looking at the girl standing on the other side of the road. She was still waiting for something, or probably someone. Then rain started to pour. The girl quickly searched her bag for something when a guy stood beside her carrying a spread out jacket on top of them. The girl looked up at the guy and smiled.


As I stared at the girl across the waiting shed, nothing has really changed except for her smile. She looked happier now. More contented than before. Memories started to come rushing in. The balloons that lost air, the flowers that wilted and the food that got cold. My vision again changed into the orangey sky which I once saw the day Angie left.


As the the couple across me went the opposite direction, I knew I had lost her forever. As I watched the rain pour and wet the once dry pavement, I remembered how I loved to observe people from afar. The way they act more naturally. I like it more when they act that way. They are more true and more genuine. For they could show you how they feel without disguises and pretentions, and they could show you things that words just can’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment