Welcome!

The end always has some effect on me for I know that for every ending, a new beginning awaits...

Friday, July 1, 2011

Stroke of Luck

Last month, I was still awake during the wee hours and while surfing the net, I was able to encounter a website advertising this essay-writing competition for LG Philippines. Since I was really bored and I've got nothing to do, I decided to join.

The mechanics of the competition was to answer a certain question as briefly but as meaty as possible. The winner will be able to get LG's newest mobile phone, the LG Optimus 2X, dubbed as the world's first dual-core mobile device (as proven by a Guinness World Record).

Aside from the boredom, I decided to take a chance for I got motivated by the fact that I might be able to get the phone as a reward. But due to the hundreds (might even be thousands) of entries that they'll be judging, I really don't expect to win.

After submitting my entry, I decided to finally sleep and just forget about the whole thing. A few weeks after, I received an email saying that I was one of the few selected entries that won the competition. I was euphoric that time because I really didn't expect to win. I was just staring at the email and the thought haven't really sunk in.

When it finally dawned on me, I was so eager to tell my family that I won and they were happy for me. Everyone congratulated me and I can't believe that I really won. Imagine, being selected by LG representatives and DTI representatives as one of the few to have proven their worth to win, it was truly a privilege and an honor.

Anyway, to make the whole story short, just a week ago, I was able to get the phone already from LG's office. The officer who assisted was very nice and accommodating. Anyway, this post is actually a short tour of the phone itself.

An unboxing video has been provided below by yours truly, to know what to expect if you plan to buy the retail package of the LG Optimus 2X (LG-P990) locally.

There's also a walkthrough video of the phone, but I'll be uploading that soon.

Anyway, this is my first video upload, so please bare with me. The video is not that clear since I just used a digicam. :)

Aside from the video, here are some pictures of the LG Optimus 2X.

 This is the sleek black box of the LG Optimus 2X.

The LG Optimus 2X in the flesh!

What's inside the box: Travel Charger, USB data cable, In-Ear Headset, 
and the highly-anticipated HDMI Cable. 


 The Front part of the phone sports a 4.0 inch WVGA IPS LCD (same with iPhone's),
a 1.3 megapixel front-facing camera, four (4) touch-sensitive keys, 
and light and proximity sensors.

The top portion has the HDMI port covered by a plastic flap, 
a 3.5 mm standard headphone jack, and the power/lock button.

The right side is almost bare, if not for the volume keys.

The right side is totally bare.

At the bottom you have the two stereo speaker grills (resembles iPhone 4's design)
and the exposed USB port for the data cable.

The back part sports the 8 megapixel autofocus camera with LED flash
for capturing and playback of 1080P HD videos.

The phone itself is being powered by a 1.0 GHz dual-core processor 
with the Nvidia Tegra 2 chipset.

So basically, the phone is blazing fast given the dual-core CPU, and the IPS LCD offers very clear and crisp images, which is a nice tandem to the 8 megapixel AF camera.

The sound is clear and loud enough in general environments, but if it gets too noisy, you'll probably have a hard time hearing it.

Video capture is a joy to experience, although I don't think the 3gp format gives the Full HD experience justice. IT would've been better if it is rendered in the more standard mp4 format. But still, the video is clear and smooth, with no major bumps during playback.

The web browser is also a plus to the LG Optimus 2X although it still renders some sites in mobile view as default. The flash players works brilliantly although I had a hard time checking out 720p and 1080p HD videos in YouTube. But overall, it was fast in rendering webpages and the scrolling is quite smooth, almost comparable to the the Safari browser of the iPhone.

One noticeable downside of the phone is the battery. Although it can last a whole day after full charge, the usual tweaking and playing with the phone easily drains the battery, probably because of the dual-core processor, although the Nvidia Tegra 2 chipset is designed for lower consumption. A few battery tweaks here and there though could surely increase the life of your battery after a single charge.

So far, here are some of the things I noticed while playing the phone. If you have any questions, you may use the comment button below and I'll try to answer your questions.

As a whole, LG Optimus 2X is one of the phones that I could recommend to people. But as what I always say, if you are after hardcore photography, there is still no replacement for real cameras and SLRs, although this phone could be handy for regular shots and practical picture-taking. If you want a phone that is fast and offers very clear images, this phone is definitely for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment